St Pauls Cathedral
Opposite Federation Square, on Melbourne's busiest intersection, the neo-Gothic St Paul’s Cathedral is a Melbourne landmark, built between 1880 and 1931. Constructed in sandstone, the current building replaced an earlier bluestone church, built on the site where the first public Christian services in Melbourne were led by Dr Alexander Thomson in 1836. Designed by William Butterfield, the cathedral’s architecture is described as Gothic transitional, combining Early English and Decorative Gothic styles. Highlights include the fine polychromatic brickwork, beautifully patterned floor tiles and mosaics, banded stonework, fine timbered roof and tiled dado walls.